Samstag, 19. August 2017

Oil cooler: new seals for an environmentally friendly engine!

On a 944 engine the oil cooler is IN the engine, cooled by the engine coolant. Lately I found out that the housing of this cooler was leaking, leaving a small puddle of oil wherever I parked. This is not only bad for the environment, I personally hate these things!

Thanks to Youtube, there are countless tutorials how to repair this. The new seals + some special sealant weren't that expensive, but it was quiet a job!
You have to drain the oil and the coolant and the housing is in a not too easy to reach area, directly under the exhaust manifold !
On the bright side, none of the screws gave me a hard time, they all could be broke loose without drama!
Upon disassembly I found some issues, this repair had been done before, but poorly executed:

The seal wasn't placed correctly.
Also, there were 3 shims under this seal - which -at this time- I thought was a failure... because usually, only 1 or 2 are being used

During assembly I measured the height from the sealing surface to the deck of the housing. The allowed dimension is 0,0 - 0,25 mm gap. I also had to install 3 shims in order to meet this spec.
This is the situation without any shims - a big gap:

After I cleaned all parts and their sealing surfaces...

... I used the Curil-T sealant which Porsche recommends here prior assembly of the seal itself:

During assembly a special tool is required to align the housing to the engine block in order to allow the oil pressure relief valve to work without issues!

Now everything is back together and appears to be oil tight - actually for the first time since I own the Porsche it is leak free (knock on wood!)  - at least: oil leak free...

Because, the next issue is already found: The right quarter windows seal is leaking:

The new seal is already ordered from Porsche and will be installed in the next few days...

Dienstag, 8. August 2017

Whistling noises

Lately I 've heard a whistling noise from the engine bay. The rubber grommet between the brake booster and the check valve leaked a bit of air. Upon closer inspection I also discovered another bodge of a previous owner. Apparently somebody broke off the little tube on the forward end of the valve and sort of glued the hose onto the valve housing:
The old check valve:

Missing tube and "glued-on" hose:

Old and new:

Rubber grommet: Spot the difference in diameter between new and old!

Final assembly: Another problem solved!
Final remark: After I ordered the valve from Porsche, I found out that the same part number (477 611 933 A) can be purchased from Volkswagen Classic Parts for half the price!
Porsche: 36,39 €
VW Classic : 18,96 €

Dienstag, 18. Juli 2017

freshly detailed

Even though the 944 gives me some headache currently, I spend time today to make it at least look good again. When I polished the old paint the first time, I didn't seal the surface afterwards, no wax, no sealant at all. So the dirt had a nice open surface to creap into it. It looked really terrible after a while, but today I washed, clayed, polished and waxed the paint, now it is all good again:

Sonntag, 7. Mai 2017

Honk if you're horny...

This bumper sticky gave me headaches when I first saw it in the early 80's. At that time no dictionary gave the information what horny meant...
Now I am a little wiser :-)
Unfortunately, this horn wasn't able to honk anymore:

Luckily, the Porsche has 2 horns. But the other horn had a loose connection, resulting in no noise at all when I hit the button. The other horn is reconnected now. Because sometimes you need to honk - for different reasons ;-)

Dienstag, 18. April 2017

Registration done!

After 1,5 years, the 944 is finally on back on the streets again!

There are still lots of things to do, but for now, I just want to use it on a daily basis!

Dienstag, 11. April 2017


Today the Porsche was inspected at the DEKRA to get back on the road. No advisories! In a few days I will register and use it!

Montag, 10. April 2017

Preparations for registration...

Tomorrow will be the first attempt to get the 944 back on the road. Mechanically, I am sure it will pass with no issues, but things like catalytic converter function - I am not so sure about...
While I prepared all paper work (which is a lot in Germany) I briefly checked the details of the Momo steering wheel technical data sheet. I always overlooked the little numbers which describe specific details for each vehicle. In paragraph 5 it says - only with excentric adapter!
Well, I did not install one, but luckily, company Sandtler, which is a leading expert in motorsport equipment in Germany is just around the corner. So, I hopped in my daily driver and picked one up:
I will awake the Porsche from hibernation today, hope it starts and prepare the last details for tommorows check - wish me luck!